|
Living Graves
活着
的
坟场
萧伯纳
We are the living graves of murdered beasts,
我们住在被杀去世的动物的宅兆里,
Slaughtered to satisfy our appetites.
为了餍足自身的胃口而放肆屠杀。
We never pause to wonder at our feasts,
宴会中我们从没去想过,
If animals, like men, can possibly have rights.
动物是不是也大概有和人一样的权力。
We pray on Sundays that we may have light,
我们在星期日祷告,
To guide our footsteps on the path we tread.
祷告在我们走的路途上充满灼烁。
We're sick of war, we do not want to fight -
我们讨厌战役不肯争斗,
The thought of it now fills our hearts with dread,
想到战役我们心田充满害怕
And yet - we gorge ourselves upon the dead.
但我们用遗体充饥。
Like carrion crows we live and feed on meat,
我们像乌鸦一样食腐肉生存
Regardless of the suffering and the pain we cause by doing so, if thus we treat defenceless animals for sport or gain,
为了竞争大概款项,陵暴毫无防范的动物,完全失臂他们的痛楚。
how can we hope in this world to attain,
我们又怎能盼望这个天下,
the PEACE we say we are so anxious for.
有我们恳求的寂静。
We pray for it o'er hecatombs of slain,
面对上帝 我们为这些捐躯祷告,
to God, while outraging the moral law,
却又在违背操行准绳,
thus cruelty begets its offspring - WAR.
这为我们的后代带来的只好战役。 |
|